Monday, August 13, 2007

What Does it take to Start a Church? Part 1

Part 1 Vision-

Back several years ago, Melissa and I began taking a look at church and how it was or wasn't impacting the lives of the people in it. Being on staff it was an introspection process for me and all I was doing or not doing at the time. Melissa and I had several conversations on how the church was impacting or not impacting the lives of people. Then one Sunday we were sitting there in the service and it hit me. I had watched as soloist, deacons, the choir and others had done one part or another in the service and it seemed as if there was a total disconnect.

I began thinking about what I was doing and I realized where the disconnect came from. Most everything that the church(myself included) was doing was totally irrelevant in the life of the average person outside the walls of the church. The reason people were'nt coming was because we had failed to meet people where they were. We were in the 21st century conducting ministry from the 19th century. The same old way of doing things wasn't working but no one would change because it was so comfortable to continue doing things the way they always had been done.

That was over 6 years ago.

God placed a vision on my heart that church could be different. God is still in the business of using the people of the church to reach the world. But if we are going to do this then we have to be willing to change.

I see a church where people are passionate about God. I see a church where it's people are passionate about others. Not concerned about just themselves and what's in it for them but a people who look out for the needs of others.

I see a church where the people are authentic, a place where people are real in their worship. I see a church that lives out this authenticity each day of the week as they worship God with their lifestyle.


I see a church that is relevant in it's presentation of the Message of Christ. I see a church that doesn't get stuck in the rut of traditions. I see a church that is willing to step out in faith to become all things to all men.

And finally I see a church where people give their best to God, not just a half hearted effort. But giving their best realizing that people's eternity is at stake. A church where people don't merely go through the motions but rather dive in head first giving their full effort.

No comments: